Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Experiments with Gouache

I spent all day yesterday and today at my studio experimenting with gouache.  It's sort of like water color, but opaque rather than transparent.....sort of like acrylic.  (I think I have this right.)   The picture at the right is one that I drew while at the Carla O'Connor workshop in Myrtle Beach.  Yesterday I painted it.  I'm sure some of you think it is really weird.....but it was fun!
 This was another one that I sketched in MB.  In this one, I did more experimenting - the gouache certainly doesn't go on the paper like anything else I've ever used.  I'm also using some cold-pressed paper which is very slick.  Next week, I'll try hot-pressed.  I think I'll like it better. 

Don't think that I don't realize that this is not that great!  However, when I started the blog I said that I would share successes and failures.  I actually started painting this one at the workshop.  The class was huge and the teacher only got to each student once during a three-hour period.  (Not a good guided practice situation.) SO, after three hours of my being frustrated with a new medium and a new technique, the teacher came over and painted a bunch of red all over it.....I will admit that it looked better than what I had done, but......anyway, I made some changes yesterday and LEARNED a lot. 

I started another painting today - we'll see!

2 comments:

  1. These are wonderful! I'm with the company, Creative Catalyst Productions, that filmed Carla's DVD workshop. (We are huge Carla O'Connor fans :) Would you permit us to post these on our blog? (We love showing what artists are creating!) We would of course link everything back to your site and say that the images are yours. Either way let me know! -Kelly (kelly [at] ccpvideos.com)
    (Blog: http://ccpvideos.com/community/blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly,
    Sure, that would be great! I do worry a little bit about my comment that it was such a big class that Carla wasn't able to get around to me for a while. I don't want to reflect negatively about her. She was great.
    Just let me know what you decide.
    Thanks for your interest!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete